[MPlayer-users] RE: 2 pass with lavc, 2nd pass looks a little worse (only a little)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Aug 14 16:35:31 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:04:02PM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> - Use hqdn3d, I use hqdn3d=12:15:15, for good video source decrease the
>   values. This greatly removes noise (at least when recording from TV)

Using temporal strength greater than the default (6) will almost
definitely create ghosts! Take a look and see. This is most noticable
with animation, but will be present whenever objects move in a
'discontinuous' fashion, i.e. more than a couple pixels per frame. It
may be a worthwhile tradeoff if your input is horribly noisy, but the
ghosts you get will negatively impact motion estimation too!

> - Use the following lavcopts (tested 25 fps, about 384 kbps, 320x240 size)

Hm? This sounds like it's for TV capture, where as Tuukka is ripping a
DVD. I seriously hope no one rips DVD at 320x240....

> vcodec=mpeg4:\
> vhq:\
> vbitrate=$VIDEO_BR:\
> trell:\
> vmax_b_frames=2:\
> v4mv:\
> precmp=6:\
> cmp=6:\
> subcmp=6:\
> predia=6:\
> dia=6:\
> vb_strategy=1:\
> vlelim=-3:\
> vcelim=5
>
> Actually most of the options have almost insignificant change in to the
> image quality, trell probably gives the most increase. Here's my three-pass

And using 2 b frames probably both lowers quality AND makes it take
longer to encode... You should use at most 1 b frame, and imo none...

Rich