[MPlayer-users] Reading raw audio/video streams

Geoffrey Hausheer b3zknt8xu02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 13 18:10:38 CEST 2003

I have seperate raw audio and video streams which I'd like to encode/play
using mencoder/mplayer.

Since the streams aren't muxed together, I want to pass the data as two
fifos to mplayer, but mplayer doesn't like fifos, so this doesn't work.

My current solution is to write the raw video to a fifo, and the raw audo
to a file.  I can then start mplayer using:
cat vidout.fifo | ./mencoder -audiofile audout.file -audio-demuxer 20
-rawaudio rate=32000 -rawvideo on:w=640:h=480 -o out.avi -ovc lavc -oac
mp3lame -
(this only works in CVS, mplayer <=0.91 doesn't support -audiofile with
-rawvideo)

And this works, but it generates an intermediate audio file which is very
large, and I am not sure what happens in the case where mplayer reads
faster than the data is generated (in theory this would just stall the
player, but I'm not really sure)

Since I am generating the streams, I could mux the audio and video
together, but looking at demuxer.h, mplayer doesn't seem to support any
demuxer that works with raw video and audio (there are seperate RAWVIDEO
and RAWAUDIO demuxers, but nothing that will handle both in one stream)

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can make this work without
generating intermediate files (either using fifos or a muxed stream to
stdout?).  I don't want to deal with the complexity of adding a
container...that is what I'm using mencoder for in the first place.

Thanks,
.Geoff