[MPlayer-users] Tips on TV-encoding performance

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 11 01:24:30 CEST 2003

Steffen Barszus wrote:
> Without being an expert i would say your hardware is really enough to do what
> you want. I have seen a slower machine (Athlon TB 1333) capturing fullscreen
I thought as much myself, but for some reason, nothing seems to work.

> (720x576) mpeg4 and mp3. What you could try is to take a higher bitrate for
> video, at least that helped a friend of mine. What belongs to the dropping of
I've tried caputure with video bitrates from 500 to 3000.  In fact, it
my system can't caputure any better than about 2500 without droping
frames, even with no other processes.

> audio I really don't know whats going on. On the above setup we tried to
> capture using uncompressed audio and after a fixed time mencoder started to
> drop audioframes, recompiling and using mp3lame he can record some hours. On
> another machine even mp3lame has the same symptoms, alltough neither the
> hd-load nor the cpu-load justifies it. Maybe mencoder has a problem here ?
Perhaps that's possible, but since it works on one but not the other, it
sounds suspicious.  Perhaps different compilers or different
optomization options could have something to do with it?  Just a guess o
course.

> Since I have a digital tv card i'm not that familiar with all that ....
I anxiously await the switch from NTSC to HDTV, but everyone seems to be
dragging their feet, perhaps intentionally trying to delay it as long as
possible.

> Steffen

Thanks for the help.