[MPlayer-users] another rh newbe (was "None")

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Sun Aug 10 18:28:36 CEST 2003

Am Sonntag, 10. August 2003 10:24 schrieb se d:
> Hello
> I am sepehr and have player.I downloaded mplayer from FRESHRPMS.net for
> redhat linux 9 and downloaded all lib files that was needed and mplayer
> installed properly.
> In console I type gmplayer to use GUI .
> I can hear audio files such as WMA-MP3-WAV  but when I want to use video
> files I get an error
>
> Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
> What should I do?

1. try different --vo options (e.g. x11, xv,... full list in the
documentation)

2. (MUCH BETTER)
go to www.mplayerhq.hu and download the latest release, the libraries and
compile yourself, or even better: get the cvs version (howto in the download
section)

reason: rh, suse and some others release crippled versions of mplayer for
"legal reasons" (they fear the mighty RIAA, MPwhatever)

and for the next time: better do not subject "none" and give us some more
information about the used version and the mplayer statements.

good luck ;-)