[MPlayer-users] MENCODER: AuDIO OF SYNC when recording from TV

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Fri Aug 8 19:30:56 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
>>>No, you don't have to deinterlace since it is exactly half PAL height and
>>>the interlacing effect is eliminated automatically then.
>>
>>Ugh!!?? Wh.. what are you telling me, that I deinterlaced till now, loosing
>>much video quality, all for nothing? Godness me, please confirm! If this is
>>true, I will have to adjust some scripts...
>

> No, deinterlacing loses the same quality that dropping to 288 height
> does. BTW, if you only want 288 height, why not just capture 288 lines
> to begin with??? That way you only get one field, and there's no need
> for any resizing. It will make encoding a lot faster.

If you have a decent machine, it can be better to capture whole PAL
resolution and rescale, just because it's more resistant to noise. The
downside of scaling to 1/2 without deinterlacing are the resulting
"ghosts" behind moving objects (as with linear blend deint.). If it is a
real 50fps interlaced material, median deinterlacer+scale to 1/2 PAL
would be my choice.

--
Jindrich Makovicka