[MPlayer-users] Re: Newbie with RH 9

soo at o2.pl soo at o2.pl
Fri Aug 8 14:57:34 CEST 2003

>I'm a newbie using Red Hat 9. I downloaded the rpm packages (as per
>instructions for gui vs) and codec packages that I thought I >needed. I
>start mplayer....but nothing happens.

1. Try to write mplayer <filename>.
2. Compiling of this package from source release is the best way to have a running mplayer because gcc creates binaries what use libraries available in your system. Try to make this ad set the path in your .bashrc to /usr/local/bin:$PATH. Any other mplayers will not disturb, so you don't have to uninstall anything.
3. I thing that RedHat should not be used by newbies. It's too hard. Mandrake is similar and easier to use.