[MPlayer-users] Problem running gmplayer.

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Aug 7 13:09:31 CEST 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:32:39AM -0000, suriya  mohan wrote:
> [root at Suriya root]# gmplayer /root/suriya/samp.mpg
[...]
> I enabled GUI support with "./configure --enable-gui" and
> downloaded
> fonts and skins and copied to "/usr/local/share/mplayer" and
> downloaded codecs and copied to "/usr/local/lib/codecs". Where can
> get the "mplayer.conf", "gui.conf", "codecs.conf", "input.conf"
> and
> "font.desc" files ? Where I am going wrong ?

Firstly at the launch of mplayer; you should NOT launch a program like
mplayer as root never ever! It's a very big security hole. You should not
use a UNIX-like system as root unless you're doing a system maintaince task
or whatever which really needs it.

Please read output of mplayer it DO write files trying to use, so all
the task is need to be done is to check that paths.

For GUI, you should have a skin named default, or otherwise you should
specify a skin to load in your config file of mplayer.

Also, if you only want to play a file specified at the command line, you
may leave GUI, by just launch "mplayer" and not "gmplayer".

And also, read the document carefully.

- Gábor (larta'H)