[MPlayer-users] Fast recompress

Erik Slagter erik at oldconomy.com
Tue Aug 5 09:39:42 CEST 2003

> Yes, we need volunteers to add mpeg2 encoding support to lavc... And
> perhaps also an alternate rate control engine that's actually capable
> of staying within [s]vcd parameters...

I would volunteer IF I had any relevant knowledge of mpeg internals ;-)

> > *: I know the mencvcd-way but the resulting quality is much too low to justify
> > its sloooooooooooooooooooooowness. ;-)
> Yes, mpeg2enc is horrible crapware... :(

There doesn't seem to be anything better :-(

There is also the bbmpeg port included with transcode, but that one is
even slower than mpeg2enc (mpeg2enc = 10-15 fps, bbmpeg = 3-8 fps on
Athlon 2000).

I am not quite an expert in this area, but would it be so hard to
implement an mpeg2 encoder in ffmpeg (these guys I trust for these
things ;-)) if you already have an mpeg1 and mpeg4 encoder?

I hope that now dvd burners become affordable more people get interested
in authoring dvd's...

Erik.