[MPlayer-users] Compile with new kernel

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Aug 4 10:09:14 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:40:50AM +0200, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Monday, 04 August 2003, gabucino at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
>
> > Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> > > And /usr/include/linux belongs to glibc!
> > :))
> > Then why is it in the kernel tarball? :)
>
> It's not in mine (2.4.21). What version are you talking about?
> Kernel headers can be reached via /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/.
> It's been like that for some time now.

Yes. You're right, you should include from there.
I only said that it's a braindead idea to use new features from including
files from /usr/include/linux, because according to FHS (for example), those
include files are not the header files of a choosen kernel of force, you
should like to use (eg the example where you want to use some features of
a 2.6.x kernel which was not present in earlier versions). Some guys
here would include header files from /usr/include/linux/ and would think
that they should be 2.6.x header files. And maybe they're in their systems,
but not on systems follow FHS for example. So yes, they should include
from /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/, as you've written.

- Gábor (larta'H)