[MPlayer-users] Re: re-encoding

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 1 06:40:57 CEST 2003

Jean-Paul Lacquement wrote:
> I own a C500 with a GeForce4(I compiled the module for the kernel), ~320Mo RAM
> and I use the svga mode to watch big movies(I think it's faster, isn't it?).

SVGA probably won't be faster than local Xvideo, since it can't
take advantage of hardware scaling and colorspace conversion,
requiring more CPU time to do those things and more throughput to
the video RAM. Of course, the only way to be sure is to test it
on your machine.

SVGA doesn't use kernel support for Nvidia hardware. Perhaps
you're using fbdev or directfb with the rivafb kernel module?

What's a C500? Is it a Via chip? I'm surprised if you can get
acceptible performance playing DVD size movies with the
combination of a 500MHz CPU and SVGA. Maybe it's a lot better
than a Duron or Celeron 500?

Jonathan Rogers