[MPlayer-users] Please, a couple of hint about encoding the credits

Roberto Canteri canteri at itc.it
Mon Apr 28 16:15:04 CEST 2003

Hi to all,
                first of all I would say thank you very much to the authors, for this wonderful program (Mplayer - Mencoder). I am a newbie in linux and I tryed a couple of ripping with lavc as codec (I used to do with DivxPro in Win$) What i should say is that lavc works very very well. I have done some test ripping movie in only 1 CD. Working for 2 CD is easyer to reach good quality even for a non good codec but run for 1CD it will show immediately how difficult could be to obtain good results. With lavc I obtained very good results even with less bitrate. So thank you very much for this great job.

What I did not succed is to encode the credits with a different quantizer; mainly because I did not succed to point the start frame and the end frames. Here are my command lines:
Rip: mplayer -dvd 1 -dumpstream -dumpfile foo.vob. This produce a single file >4Gb
Audio: mencoder foo.vob -aid 129 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=128
Encoding video: mencoder foo.vob -oac copy -o /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate 916:vpass=1:vhq:v4mv:trell -vop scale 640:272, crop......
The second pass the same with vpass=2 and -o final.avi   (Here I cutted the vrc_override options..)

Well, I tryed to seek the start frames by looking at the time/frames in the shell while Mplayer is running (command: Mplayer foo.vob) but without success because somewhere in the movie, the time turns to zero (i.e: by pushing mplayer forward with the right arrow, the time does not increase linearly); My movie is about 2:34:00 long but at about 1:29:00 the time turns to zero. In addition if I try to start mplayer from a point later than 1:29:00 it exit immediately (command mplayer foo.vob -ss 1:35:00 for example) Probably this could be related to the file foo.vob made by the ripping process. Any hint?
In conclusion I am asking: how are you doing this job?
Thank you very much in advance for help.
Best Regards,
Roberto