[MPlayer-users] mplayer -vo null -vc null -ao pcm

Fabio Papa (MCE) f.papa at mcmspa.it
Wed Apr 23 09:12:08 CEST 2003

Hi list,
	I'm experiencing this strange behaviour when trying to use the -ao pcm to
encode an audio track to ogg vorbis.
The method I use is this: I first create a fifo file named audiodump.wav, then I
start mplayer with the parameters -vo null -vc null -ao pcm. On another window, I
start oggenc with its parameters, giving audiodump.wav as the source. It works ok.
But I then noticed that, if I use audio-only avis, produced with mencoder with the
-ovc frameno option, and without specifing -vo null nor -vc null, the operation is
much faster. Shouldn't mplayer disregard _every_ video data with the -vo null and -vc
null options specified?
On top of that, if I use an audio only avi, and I specify -vo null and -vc null, the
operation again slows much, like I was using a video+audio avi.
What it seems to be happening, is that specifying -vo and -vc causes mplayer to
ignore video decoding and display, but still it tryes to sync audio with video,
losing much time. And this is also true with videoless avis. In this last case,
don't specifying -vc and -vo causes mplayer to not recognize the video and therefore
disregarding it completely, losing also the sync feature.
Isn't there a switch to tell mplayer to actually disregard video, even the sync?

Thanks!

--
Fabio Papa - italian LTSP translator