[MPlayer-users] Re: Problem with 2-pass encoding

rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com rbtq7ol02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 16 10:18:23 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 21:49, mplayer-users-request-at-mplayerhq.hu
|mplayer-list| wrote:
> Are you sure you're not launching *TWO* (or more) mencoders at the
> same time on pass 1 ? Or your compiler is completely fsck'ed up.
> The folowing lines are complete non-sens.
> (and yes, divx2pass.log is complete garbage)

Yes, quite certain, I pasted this straight out of my terminal.  I'm fairly
certain I've found the problem now, I hadn't noticed the part of the output
you mentioned before but it fits with what I suspect.  I captured the
original at 480x480 from TV and used the lavc aspect ratio option to mark it
as 4/3.  I then cut the commercials from it with avidemux, which has a "smart
copy" feature.  In smart copy mode, frames between the end of a cut portion
and the next keyframe are re-encoded, while the rest of the frames are
copied.  I'm guessing that avidemux didn't know about the aspect ratio data,
so any frames that smart copy re-encoded are 1:1, while the copied frames are
4:3.  This would explain the messages you noticed, and problably everything
else as well.  I'm cutting the files I have right now on keyframes, and
removing the aspect ratio from the script that I use to record, which I think
will probably fix things.  As for the last time this happened, perhaps my
memory of the solution was simply faulty.