[MPlayer-users] stuttering outpout when play from drive

David Shochat shochat at acm.org
Sun Apr 13 19:51:12 CEST 2003

Konstantinos Blatzonis wrote:

>When playing VCD, SVCD or
>just a simple Mpeg from DVD-Drive the movie is stuttering (video and audio).

Do you have DMA enabled for your DVD drive? When I don't, things are jerky.
Try /sbin/hdparm -d /dev/dvd to find out.

If not, on RedHat, you now have to set it in modules.conf; don't know
about Debian. Maybe /sbin/hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd
will work for Debian. Look at 4.1 in the mplayer docs (cd-dvd.html).
There are some other "tuning" ideas there which I have not tried myself.
-- David