[MPlayer-users] Re: Strange problem with getting proper file size of my 2CD movies.

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Sun Apr 13 10:43:36 CEST 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 10:03:34AM +0200, Jarek Darnowski wrote:
> Hello
> I have problems with encoding some movies to 2CD. Mencoder produces avi files
> which are about 1GB long (or less) instead of 1.4GB. Here's what i do:

This is probably because lavc is already at the maximum quality (ie
all quantizers == 2) and simply can't use more bits. Lavc is too
efficient ! ;) (and even, you didn't pushed it too far).

To be sure try "vqscale=2" instead of "vbitrate" and tell us how large
is the file (only the video part, and obviously with only one pass) ?

Is this is the case, you can include more soundtracks / languages or
include the AC3 track instead of compressing it to mp3.

You could also use a sharper scaling algorithm, I would use "-sws 9"
or even "-sws 10".

--
Rémi