[MPlayer-users] Re: problem with subtitles

Kalin KOZHUHAROV kalin at ThinRope.net
Thu Apr 10 11:54:35 CEST 2003

Tathagata Banerjee wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 12:36, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>

>>Yeah, of course it doesn't. You can't burn the subs onto the picture
>>without reencoding.
>

> thanks for that tip. encoding from the vob with "-sid 0" is doing the
> trick. i now have what i wanted. but i'm curious to know why
>
> $ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en
>
> without "-sid 0" is working on my machine if it is not supposed to work,
> as kalin pointed out.
I didn't say it should not work, I meant *may not* work. The information about -aid to -alang and -sid to -slang is inside the .ifo file. If you don't have it, it will not work. rtfm for -ifo

>>Of course Kalin's advise was rather bad, but since
>>AVI files can't embed text subs or vobsub data, it's the only way
>>without using a separate sub file or else using .ogm.
>
> not the only way, as it turns out. i can encode from the vob, too. the
> vob was created with
>
> $ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en -dumpstream -dumpfile rashomon.vob
This is the same more or less. If you don't consider -dumpfile encoding (and it is not, it is extraction). What the above does is to mix two video streams (video + subs) and one audio stream into a single file. VOB format is more or less the same, but with many streams.

Kalin.

--
||//,_/>     WWW: http://ThinRope.net/
|||\ <"