[MPlayer-users] Re: problem with subtitles

Tathagata Banerjee tathagatabanerjee at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 08:05:23 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 11:19, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:

> Did you try mplayer -v -dvd 1 -slang en ? Do it now and see whether you can see the subtitles.
> You cannot? Now you know why there were not present in the dumpfile.

but i can! i copy-pasted that command into a terminal, and it played the
movie okay with english subtitles and all. the subtitles are displayed
equally well by "-slang en" AND "-sid 0". shouldn't this happen? i am
using mplayer 0.90-rc4.

> Yes. RTFM. By the way here it is not very clear in the man page that
> you don't put the .sub extension :-) If you have read the DOCS, I am
> sure you'll seee it somewhere.
> You mix -sub (text subtitles) and -vobsub (picture) ! You are
> extracting with -vobsubout, don't you find it logical to play it with
> -vobsub?

yes, i am able to see the subs this way. thanks.

> > my second problem is, i want to create a single avi that will contain
> > audio,video and subtitles. how do i do it from rashomon.* ?
> you almost did it. Try again without extracting the subtitles.
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -sid 0 -o new.avi

sorry, no go. isn't working.
well, to be meticulous, i changed "-ovc lavc" in your example to "-ovc
copy", because i didn't want keep the dvd drive engaged that long. but
that shouldn't be important. the resulting avi still had no subs.

on the other hand, you remember the rashomon.vob i created with

$ mplayer -dvd 1 -slang en -dumpstream

that is, without "-sid 0"?  well, when i play that one thus:

$ mplayer -sid 0 rashomon.vob

it plays with subtitles, whether or not the .idx and .sub files are in
the current dir. not like the dvd, which shows subs both with "-slang
en" and "-sid 0". the vob file shows subs only with "-sid 0".

so i still haven't got an avi with subs and all. any ideas?

- t.

--
cogito, ergo es.