[MPlayer-users] Encoding Streaming Radio to an MP3?

Patrick Kirchner patrickkirchner at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 20:30:34 CEST 2003

Hello,

First, let me apologize if this is in the man page or
hidden somewhere else.  I have searcjed fpr this and
done my best to find the answer, but can't, so now I'm
humbly asking for help.

I'm trying to encode a streaming radio station to an
MP3 file.  I thought this would work:

mencoder http://www.wuwm.com/listen/wuwmlive.asx -oac
mp3lame

But it doesn't.  It ends with this error:

============ Sorry, this file format is not
recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please
contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer.
Exiting...

The best I have been able to come up with is this:

mplayer http://www.wuwm.com/listen/wuwmlive.asx -ao
pcm

then....

lame -b 128 audiodump.wav audiofile.mp3

I'd like to setup a job that would automatically
record 30 minutes of radio in the morning so I can
quickly transfer it to my MP3 player and listen to it
as I ride my bike to work.

If anyone could offer me some assistance I'd be most
appreciative.

Thanks much,

Patrick.