[MPlayer-users] install question /proc/mtrr

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Apr 1 08:25:25 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 01:42:07PM +0900, jamie roughan wrote:
> While reading the install docs, I noticed I don't have mtrr
> under /proc for my red-hat8 OS. Can I create a file called
> mtrr & will that work?

Hehehehehehehe ;-) Nope. /proc filesystem is a VIRTUAL filesystem, it's
not for creating files. In a nutshell, /proc is an exported subset of
kernel internals in nicer form for user level apps/for users. So eg
/proc/mtrr exists if your kernel KNOWS mtrr things, then you can view/
modify mtrr kernel driver options through this file. So if you don't
have that "file", your kernel should be recompiled with MTRR support
and such. Of course it's possible that Linux can't support MTRR on your
hardware ...

- Gábor (larta'H)