[MPlayer-users] window destruction and pausing oddities

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Sep 30 21:41:04 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:25:08AM -0700, Dave wrote:

> > > How significant?  This seems like broken behavior.
> >
> > Well it's not really broken. Consider for example that you could use a
> > different vo for each file:
> >
> > mplayer foo.avi -vo x11 bar.avi -vo xv
> >
> > In that case, it's necessary to uninit one vo and init a different one
> > for the next file. Keeping the window between one and the other
> > *could* be possible, if a separate X/window creation layer were added
> > that all the X-based vo's would use, but like I said it would be a lot
> > of work.
>
> Why then must the entire window, decorations and all be destroyed rather
> than just the widget inside?

What widget? It's just the window. MPlayer is not X-centric; all the X
code is isolated the the vo, so that those of us who don't want to put
up with the slowness of playing movies in X can use better things like
fb or mga_vid. This means that there is not currently any persistent
window that could be used. It would be possible to add such a thing
though, as I said. If you want it send a patch. :)

Rich