[MPlayer-users] Problem playing DivX video with Neomagic

Daniel Kefford dlk25 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 24 21:55:02 CEST 2002

On Monday 23 September 2002 3:57 pm, Bohdan Horst wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 02:01:31PM +0100, D.L. Kefford wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have recently downloaded the latest version of MPlayer (0.90-pre8) and
> > downloaded the Neomagic xv driver. MPlayer builds without any porblems
> > and I can load X using the new driver fine but when I come to use MPlayer
> > to playback divx files using xv with the new driver I get problems. If I
> > playback with -vo X11 it works but is really slow. If I use the xv output
> > it doesnt crash but I get white horizontal lines on a black background
> > that get brighter and fainter but no picture, the sound works fine
> > though.
> >
> > I am using XFree86 4.2.0 in a resolution of 1024x768 in 16bit colour with
> > KDE 3.1 using gcc 2.95.4 and I have added the OverlayMem line to my
> > XF86Config file. It does this when played in a window but also does the
> > same if I try and play full screen. On another divx file I just got a
> > black screen with sound and no lines. I am guessing it is probably
> > something to do with the driver version I have but I am not sure. MPLayer
> > doesnt crash I just get no picture. I tried the fix mentioned about
> > disabling Karts sound server but that didnt fix it.
> >
> > If there is any other info that would be of help let me know.
> >
> > Hope someone can help, playing DivX and watching DVDs is the only thing
> > left that I need Windows for and I would prefer to be able to do it in X.
>
> I have NeoMagic 2360
>
> try "-vo dga" or "-vo dga -fs" (required u+s and works in 16bpp)
>
> if binary driver from mphq doesn;t work, try neomagic driver from
> XFree86 CVS (required -ignoreABI switch) (both works fine for me)
>
> best regards

Hi.I have now tried dga and dga works fine and appears to be fast enough
although i dont know whether it will be for DVDs, need to try them next. I
have always tracked down the reason why xv wouldnt work but I havent found a
aolution yet. In my XF86Config file I hve Option "extern_disp" so that by
default my laptop displays to an external monitor and it appears to be this
that is causing the problem. When I remove it and use xv it works fine, even
when I switch to the external monitor etc while it is playing but if I start
up with the external display as the defult it doesnt work no matter what I
try. The reason i use extern_disp is that iot allows me to get refresh rates
higher than 60Hz on my monitor but if I swtitch to the external monitor after
the refresh gets reset to 60hz by the BIOS. I guess this is  problem with the
chipset but was wondering whether anyone had any clues.

Thanks

Dan