[MPlayer-users] mencoder wrapper script 0.1

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Tue Sep 24 11:01:01 CEST 2002

> What interests me here is that you some how find which title to
> play. How well does that work? And could anyone please test and see
> how well it works for them. If it works great something like that
> could be included in mplayer to automaticly play the correct title.

well it's thanks to Arpi that i found out about the two small libdvdread
tools. it takes a little bit of thinking to accomplish it but it's fairly
simple.

1) use title_info to find each title number, which vts file it is in, and
what position it is in inside it's vts file

2) use ifo_dump sequentially on each ifo file to extract the track length
of each track inside each vts file

3) take these two data structures and combine them together. resulting in
a list of track number / length pairs... voila.

nothing else to it really. But i would think from MPlayers point of view
it might seem a little silly in their eyes, which i think i can
understand. In this instance though, this is one of the main points of the
script. I've not had any problems with the dozen or so DVD's i've tried,
and i've picked screwey ones in particular (i.e. ones with silly games on
etc...). The only title i couldn't make work was Jurassic Park, but that
was becuase the dvdread utilities had problems, so my script never got the
data.

next step for me will be to incorporate chapters in the data i find, which
is pretty simple too.

chris
xxxx