[MPlayer-users] Sound normalizing

Andre Hinrichs andre68 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 22 16:46:02 CEST 2002

Hi all!

I searched the list archive for a solution of normalizing sound.
It found some articles, but non of them seems to work.

I have a lot of movies with very different volumes.
Unfortunately, there is only a parameter for mplayer for normalization
"-aop list=volnorm"

I want to create a movie with normalized sound.

The following commands create a normalized sound, but I do not know how to
get it back into the movie:

mencoder infile.avi -ovc frameno -oac pcm -o frameno.avi
mplayer frameno.avi -dumpaudio -dumpfile frameno.raw
ecanormalize frameno.raw
ecaconvert .wav frameno.raw
lame frameno.raw.wav frameno.mp3

The resulting mp3 file is good. It is definitely normalized.

I tried the following command, but it does import the audio from frameno.avi
instead of the given audio file:

mencoder -audiofile frameno.mp3 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
    vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=500 -o outfile.avi infile.avi

If I delete the frameno.avi file, there is no sound anymore.

I've also tried the following command, which ends in a segmentation fault!

mencoder -oac copy frameno.mp3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=500 -o outfile.avi infile.avi

Then there is another way, I found in the articles!

The author wrote, that after creating a mp3 file, the following command
could work:

Use two pass encoding, again only 20 seconds, no sound at all

mencoder -nosound -o outfile-pre1.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:vhq:vpass=1 -endpos 00:00:20 infile.avi
mencoder -nosound -o outfile-pre2.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1000:vhq:vpass=2 -endpos 00:00:20 infile.avi

Now join the video and the audio
This works fine:

mencoder -oac copy -audiofile frameno.mp3 -ovc copy outfile-pre2.avi -o
outfile-final.avi

No, unfortunately it doesn't. There is still the audio from outfile-pre2.avi
and not from frameno.mp3
Even if I rename the frameno.avi file to something else, it does not work.
Same as above: no sound anymore

Is there any way to do this?

A more nice way would of course be a 4-pass encoding where the first pass is
a volume peak search. The the second pass could do the normalizing.
I've read in an article, that normalizing is planned for the version after
0.90. Is this correct?

Greetings
Andre

--
Werden Sie mit uns zum "OnlineStar 2002"! Jetzt GMX wählen -
und tolle Preise absahnen! http://www.onlinestar.de