[MPlayer-users] Bug Report - Playback - sdl:esd makes video choppy

Roman Karachinsky romikq at mail.ru
Sat Sep 21 23:13:01 CEST 2002

Hi, this is pretty much my first bug submission ever, so please excuse
me if I'm not following some unsaid guidelines or something.

---------

Bug: If -ao sdl:esd is used, then after being paused, the playback
starts being choppy. This happens with both stable/unstable/cvs releases
and any type of file and any type of video output. Sometimes, after
about 45 minutes of playback it gets choppy by itself. Before the
pausing/45-mins, however, it is perfectly fine. Looks like it skips
frames with equal intervals. However, this dissapears if played with any
other audio output. However, since I'm using alsa, esd output is pretty
important to me since I need good mixing of several inputs and ao alsa9
doesn't work.

---------

Software info:

System: Slackware 8.1 i386

Kernel version:
$ uname -a
Linux ghostwheel 2.4.18 #3 Fri Sep 6 17:12:46 GMT-5 2002 i686 unknown

libc version:
$ ls -l /lib/libc[.-]*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      5029105 May 18 08:54 /lib/libc-2.2.5.so*
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Sep  6 16:14 /lib/libc.so.6
-> libc-2.2.5.so*

X version:
$ X -version

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 January 2002
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
        newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
        reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present

gcc and ld versions:
$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-slackware-linux/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
$ ld -v
GNU ld version 2.12.90.0.9 20020526

binutils versions:
$ as --version
GNU assembler 2.12.90.0.9 20020526
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `i386-slackware-linux'.

SDL version: 1.2.4

ESD version: 0.2.27

---------

Hardware info:

CPU:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.70GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 1698.621
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 3381.65

Video card:
Ati FireGL 7800, which is just a mobility 7500 with a higher bus speed.

Video drivers:
XFree DRI (4.2.0)

Sound Card:
intel 810 on-board

Sound Driver:
Alsa 0.9 snd-intel8x0 kernel module

mplayer -v ouput: ftp://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/esd-problem.log

Thanks
-------

Roman Karatchinski
a.k.a.