[MPlayer-users] videostream with mplayer over ssh

Andrew Worsley Andrew.Worsley at ericsson.com.au
Wed Sep 18 22:11:01 CEST 2002

I have the following shell function which works for me.
function remoteMplayer () {
        file=$1
        host=$2
        cat $file | ssh $host export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib: DISPLAY=:0 TERM=xterm\; mplayer -vo x11 -
}

NB: I have to specify the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as the default one doesn't include
the sharedlibraries used by MPlayer - i.e. your situation may vary.

	Andrew

> Hi,
>
> is there a chance to stream video with mplayer through a ssh-tunnel?

> A is the linux-system where the video lies and i want to tunnel with ssh
> over B and C to D, where i want to watch the video.
> Linux and ssh is installed at all systems.

  If B & C involve firewalls/NATs you may have to use -L and -R options to
  ssh get through them.

  man ssh for more details - and make sure you keep ssh up to date there have
  been many vulnerabilities disclosed in OpenSSH recently.