[MPlayer-users] Blur in xv output with to width movies

M. van de Sanden M.vd.Sanden at ai.rug.nl
Tue Sep 17 11:08:02 CEST 2002

On 17 Sep 2002, gabor wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 02:06, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 12:34:06AM +0200, M. van de Sanden wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think I found a bug. If I play a movie, with width bigger (or equal)
> > > than the screen resolution, there is a strange blur about a quarter of the
> > > movies height, halfway down the screen on the right side. Looks like an
> > > old broken tv, or as if you scrolled the monitor image to much to one side
> > > with an old monitor. This only happens with xv output, not with x11 or sdl
> > > with -noxv. The movie has a size of 1024x576 (see included mplayer -v).
> >
> > This is obviously a driver or hardware issue. There's nothing mplayer
> > can do about it, most likely, except use software scaling instead of
> > hardware. For example try -vop scale=800:600 (but it will be slow).
> >
> > > NVidia TNT (diamond viper v550)
> > > NVidia closed source drivers (sorry, but they work)
> >
> > No they don't, that's why you're having this problem. Figures it's
> > nvidia junk. :) Actually I think I heard the Free drivers included in
> > XF86 nowadays support XV on TNT, so you might try them and see if the
> > problem goes away. I might just have no idea what I'm talking about,
> > though.
You'r right, I should have said that they have always worked for me.. You
just might have changed my mind about closed-source drivers.

> as i know free-xfree xv support only begins with geforce1 ( or geforce2
> ) ?
>

> but if you have a fast-enough processor ( let's say 1ghz ), simply use
> -vo x11 -zoom and don't care about the rest :-)
Well, I dont. (PII 400) not fast enough for this movie :(

Happily this isn't my normal movie player machine and on the other it
works ok.. But I just thought I should report it.

Thanks for the answers,

Mart

> bye,
> gabor
>

> > Rich

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
-- Albert Einstein