[MPlayer-users] Re: Display card recommendations

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Sep 16 21:51:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-16 at 21:02, Robert R. Wal wrote:
> On 02.09.16 Steven Adeff pressed the following keys:
>
> > I haven't posted in a while, but this prompted me to. Arpi, I can understand
> > the desire for open source drivers, but in the competetive world of video
> > cards, you can't fault a company for desiring closed drivers to protect their
> > IP rights.
>
> What marketroid bs are you bubling about?
>
> Protect IP rights? I thought that NVdidia and the rest of the bunch are
> about selling the hardware.
>
> What you suggest is that if they published sourcecode for their drivers
> someone (presumably competition) would use those sources for their
> products to nvidia's disadvantage.

someone told me somewhere that it's problematic to release the driver
source because it can contains algorithms that may be legally
problematic etc... and thatway for example ATI could sue NVIDIA about
some patent issues just to get time to do something, because for that
time NVIDIA would have to stop distributing their drivers etc....

of course this can-be/can-be-not true...

i'm not defending nvidia, i'd love to get open-source drivers for my
geforce...

bye,
gabor

--
That's life for you, said McDunn.  Someone always waiting for someone
who never comes home.  Always someone loving something more than that