[MPlayer-users] Re: Display card recommendations

Steven Adeff adeffs at rpi.edu
Mon Sep 16 13:40:02 CEST 2002

I haven't posted in a while, but this prompted me to. Arpi, I can understand
the desire for open source drivers, but in the competetive world of video
cards, you can't fault a company for desiring closed drivers to protect their
IP rights. I find it especially annoying that you fault NVidia of all
companies for doing it. They have proven in the Windows world that they can
produce excellent closed drivers. They have often released drivers that
double or so the performance of their cards while maintaining stability.
Something that ATI and Matrox haven't been able to do. So yea, maybe ATI and
Matrox need help in creating good drivers, but don't mount your holy campaign
against NVidia because of it. Use the same amount of effort on a company that
won't produce drivers for their hardware AND won't release specs for a open
source driver. The linux community could use it more.

p.s. no flame bait intended by this, its just frustration built up from
reading your posts for the last few months, etc.

--
Steven Adeff
ADEFFS at RPI.EDU

Those who can think, do; those who cannot, dress funny.

"Bodies are for hookers and fat people" - Bender

You can teach the ignorant, with the stupid there is no hope.

"You see, eventually your music will help put an end to war
and poverty, it will align the planets and bring them into
universal harmony, allowing meaningful contact with all
forms of life."
-Bill 'n' Teds Excellent Adventure