[MPlayer-users] Timed recording?

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Sep 16 11:33:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 10:42:32PM +0100, Chris Phillips wrote:
> > Is there anyway that I can set it so that it will automatically
> > terminate based on a certain condition?
>
> of course there is. *R*T*F*M*, or does your manpage not work???
>
>     -endpos <time|byte position>
>               Stop encoding at given time or byte position. Can be
                     ^^^^^^^^
> specified in many ways:

as far as i understand the original question, it is not about encoding
(in which case --endpos does work) but dumping.
just tested it myself:
mplayer http://relay0.fm4.amd.co.at:31337/ -dumpaudio --endpos 1mb
stream is dumped, but i killed mplayer when stream.dump reached a size of
1,5 megs.

maybe there is a way to get mencoder to do the job somehow, so i tried
mencoder -o test.avi -ovc frameno -oac copy http://relay0.fm4.amd.co.at:1337/
--endpos 1mb
which resulted in segfault. i'm not really sure why:
- my computer just sucks, mencoder not installed properly
- just tried something mencoder is not supposed to be able to
  (using mencoder to copy a audio stream to a avi without video seems
  a bit strange to me, but the idea was to use mencoder & endpos, dumping
  audio to "real" mp3 should be simple then.)
- possibly real bug, my version is 0.9pre7
  [ ] please try current CVS read bugreports.html and follow the
  instructions...
- i messed up, there is actually a way to use mencoder to dump the
  stream.

regards,
	wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/