[MPlayer-users] Request for more verbose information from dvds

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Mon Sep 16 00:59:01 CEST 2002

Hi developers

If anyones been reading those emails from me on the last few days about a
perl wrapper for encoding dvd's I've been struggling to find ways to get
accurate information about the contents of a dvd. i've had some success
with vstrip, to deduce where the main title of a dvd is, but when i come
to something really complex, such as monsters inc which has silly games
and such like in it, everything goes very much tits up, so to speak.

I know from vstrip that the info for stream lengths and such is all out
there, and also that when mplayer plays a dvd it parses all the dvd to
find the total number of titles etc, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can some
extra verbose information be added (i.e. when the -v flag is used) to list
information similar to the number AND length of titles on the disc so an
external script can actually use the information to make a ripping GUI for
mencoder or such like to be feasible.

I know that the cropdetect option give out suitable information for
parsing, so that's great, and it's easy to get information on what
languages are present in a title etc. but it would really be great to be
able to get some more information about a dvd from mplayer itself, and not
need to use vstrip of similar apps.

I have tried reading the source to find where the titles are read, and
found various things inside libmpdemux and the libmpdvdkit2, but not found
anything i think i could base a patch, or such like, around.

Thanks

Chris
xxxx