[MPlayer-users] Re: -ss switch broken in current 3-pass-mode of mencoder

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Sat Sep 14 00:59:02 CEST 2002

Hi!

> ok i've found the problem around -ss and 3-pass.
> the _user_ has 2 choices:
> 1. do the first pass for the whole file, and use -ss for 2nd/3rd pases
> 2. do all the 3 passes with the same -ss value

> it was originally written for 2., but was commited a patch later to seek in
> frameno.avi too, it changed behaviour to 1.

Let me check whether I understand correctly. If I want to encode from
absolute position 100 to absolute position 150, I need:

1. no options for the frameno.avi. This sound would go into the
   output.avi in step 2. This step would waste a lot of time because
   the whole input is encoded.
2. "-ss 100 -endpos 150" for the video including sound from step 1.
3. "-ss 100 -endpos 50" for the .mp3 which would go into a separate
   file.
4. "-ss 100 -endpos 50" for the subtitles.

With MPlayer-20020819 I gave all four steps "-ss 100 -endpos 150"
and it JustWorked(tm). This seemed much more consistent to me. =8)

> also, -endpost ignores the -ss it seems.

Sorry, did not get that one. What does this mean?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --