[MPlayer-users] Re: -ss switch broken in current 3-pass-mode of mencoder

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Sep 13 10:54:01 CEST 2002

Hello!

>> Maybe the "mux_v->timer>100" condition in line 1240 of mencoder.c is
>> not met?

> yes
> it expects at least 100 seconds to be encoded
> burning less than 100 secs of video to fill the whole cd is more than
> nonsense :)

Oh, I see :). Well, I tried short intervalls because I did not want to
wait for hours just to see whether it works or not. It was just by
accident that the failed runs correlated with the missing
recommendations. So forget what I said about the first pass.

I think I finally come closer to the real propblem. I still have no
clue about the internals, but I see the reason of the failure now:

In pass one "-ss 100 -endpos 102" encoding starts at position 100 and
ends at 202, giving a total of 102 seconds to encode.

In pass two "-ss 100 -endpos 102" encoding starts at position 100 and
ends at 102, giving a total of 2 seconds to encode.

With "-ss 100 -endpos 98" pass one will encode 98 seconds and pass two
will just fail, because it thinks a total of -2 seconds is reqested.

So the real problem is that the -endpos parameter is interpreted
differently in different places (and it is not even clear in the DOCS
whether -endpos means "length" or "end position").

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --