[MPlayer-users] -ss switch broken in current 3-pass-mode of mencoder

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Thu Sep 12 00:34:02 CEST 2002

Hello!

In the current version of mencoder the -ss switch of mencoder seems to
be broken when used together with the 3-pass-mode.
When the following commands are run, the second mencoder drops
thousands of frames.

$ rm frameno.avi
$ mencoder -ovc frameno foo.vob -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=0:vbr=0:aq=0 \
    -o frameno.avi -alang en  -ss 2062 -endpos 6172
$ rm t.avi
$ mencoder foo.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vpass=1 -oac  \
    -o t.avi -ss 2062 -endpos 6172

When I downgrade mplayer and ffmpeg to the snapshots from 2002-08-19
(this is what I used before upgrading), everything works pretty well
again.

I have tried to figure out which release introduced the problem:

MPlayer-20020827 OK
MPlayer-20020830 OK
MPlayer-20020831 won't compile
MPlayer-20020901 broken
[ ... ]
MPlayer-20020911 broken

I have no idea what the exact problem is, but the problem disappears
when I remove line 845 of mencoder.c which contains:

    if(demuxer2) demux_seek(demuxer2, d, 1);

Any comments?

BTW: the current ffmpeg's Makefile use the variable $(RANLIB), but it
is not defined anywhere, so the make fails. Shouldn't configure set
this variable?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --