[MPlayer-users] Extrtact DVD subtitles

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Thu Oct 31 21:22:02 CET 2002

Am Mittwoch, 30. Oktober 2002 01.57 schrieb Fabio Pugliese Ornellas:
> dos anyone knows a way to extrract dvd subtitles to a .srt, .sub ou
> whatever similar format of subtitles?

Not possible. Well, at least not easily.

.sub, .srt and the like are text based formats. They contain the text
to be displayed in ASCII, along with the necessary timing information.
vobsub, on the other hand, is bitmap based. The subtitles are stored as
pictures.

There is some OCR-Software specialized on this task. Don't expect
perfect results, though.

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    I'm breaking for DAUs, too!       x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \