[MPlayer-users] DXR3 Users please read

David Holm david at realityrift.com
Tue Oct 29 17:35:02 CET 2002

Hi,
I have just changed the dxr3 device so that prebuffering is disabled by
default. To enable it you have to specify :prebuf, :noprebuf has been
deprecated.
I have also added a new option called :sync, which is a new syncengine I have
written. It seems to work great so far and I would like as many of you as
possible to try it out.
The new sync engine makes it possible for athlon users to use prebuffering.
This uses alot more cpu but the gain is much smoother playback.
It is also highly recommended (or I should say required) to use the following
option when playing with mpeg1 filters, -vo lavc=<qualitylevel>:25.
<qualitylevel> is the video quality you want ranging from 1 = best and
upwards. 25 tells lavc to encode video at 25 frames per second. This is
required for the em8300 to be able to play video properly when running with
prebuffering as we have not yet figured out how to change the fps setting.
(Any windows users here who are any good with softice? ;).
I have had reports that :prebuf:sync does not work well when playing standard
mpeg1/2 on athlons, just play without those options when playing standard
mpegs.

Conclusion:
When playing anything other than mpeg, like divx or realvideo use the
following options (this includes athlon owners):
-vo dxr3:prebuf:sync -vop lavc=1:25
When playing standard mpeg use either
-vo dxr3:prebuf:sync or if this does not work (most likely for athlon users)
just use -vo dxr3.

Please report back to me how this works out, thank you.

//David Holm