[MPlayer-users] Re: XVidModeExtension

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Fri Oct 25 21:05:02 CEST 2002

Am Mittwoch, 23. Oktober 2002 21.01 schrieb Tobias Diedrich:
> That's not true.
> Xv for example _does_ work over the network.

Oh? I didn't know that.

> And if your network is fast enough you can play movies with small
> (100MBit) or even full (1GBit) resolution over the network...

Uh... Let us put that 1GB thingy on the side, won't we? As far as i
reckon, we're talking about equipment affordable by mere humans here
;-).

Now, for the 100MBit network. Let me calc this... Yes, it should be
fast enough to transport a movie with VCD resolutions. But if you have
a cheap network card (more common than you think), it's very likely,
that it will kill your CPU with IRQ's.

Well, I guess it will do in special cases. I don't think it being a
good solution, though. Especially, if the displaying server does *not*
support XVideo. Haven't found a solution for the very particular
problem mentioned in the original mail, sorry.

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    I'm breaking for DAUs, too!       x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \