[MPlayer-users] esd

Glyn glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 15:19:02 CEST 2002

Laurent Lacaze wrote:
> I have the same problem with MPlayer and esd.
> Others applications work fine with esd, but with MPlayer there is
> noise.

I think this is due to resampling.  MPlayer (at least, when I use it)
sometimes has to resample the audio to suit esd'd preferred input format.
Then esd may also need to resample the audio to suit your soundcard.  If
this has to be done instantly (to prevent sync problems) then at least one
level of the resampling may result in poor quality output.

Using the volume plugin sometimes helps, but I think that was just for me.
(Have I told everyone about my evil soundcard?  Oh, never mind.)

Glyn

--
Can I buy a drink here, or are you just going to throw limes at me?