[MPlayer-users] Prob w/ mplayer & kdm+fluxbox

Petr Pajas pajas at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Oct 23 20:40:02 CEST 2002

mtzanidakis at freemail.gr writes:

> Hello world,
> I've made the following entry on ~/.fluxbox/menu :
>
> [exec] (Play avi) {mplayer ~/movie.avi}

> to play the ~/movie.avi directly from the menu. However if I login to fluxbox via KDM and select it, my X Server restarts. I login again and it works fine.
> On ~/.xession-errors I get :
>
> Playing ~/movie.avi
> ^MCache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    ^MCache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)    ^MCache fill:  0.00% (0 byte
> s)
>
> repeated for about 1000 lines.

yeah, you are filling your .xsession-errors with bullshit
why don't you make it
[exec] (Play avi) {mplayer ~/movie.avi 2>/dev/null >/dev/null}

and forget about .xsession-errors
check /var/log/XFree86.*.log if your X server goes down

> If I startx, everything works OK. The problem shows up with all users, including root so it has nothing to do with permissions.
> I tried it on a Pentium4/1.7 w/ slack-8.1 and on a Celeron/1.7 w/ gentoo-1.4 (gcc-3.2) with the same results.
> The problem also happens with xdm. I don't gdm installed to check...
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> .:: Manolis ::.

Maybe NVidia with their binary drivers?

on my system, when I play a movie, then relogin in KDM as arbitrary
other user and run mplayer -vo xv on any file, X server goes bye bye.
Then I log in for the second time as the same user as before and
mplayer runs smoothly. I suspect NVidia kills the X server and that it
is related to changing permissions to NV resources to another console
user.

-- Petr