[MPlayer-users] record from TV ( v4l ) with sound

Krister Lagerstrom krister at kmlager.com
Tue Oct 22 07:29:02 CEST 2002

D Richard Felker III wrote:
 > DOCS/bugreports.html] On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 08:57:58PM -0500,
 > Krister Lagerstrom wrote:
 >
 >> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
 >> DOCS/bugreports.html] Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
 >>

 >>> The reason is that the timebases of CPU and soundcard are
 >>> different. It means that per one second of CPU time the
 >>> soundcard doesn't deliver 44100 samples but some more or less.
 >>
 >> Have you considered using the same method as nvrec to solve the
 >> problem? That is, adjust the audio sample rate dynamically using a
 >> PI controller. I'm not sure about the exact details, but it seems
 >> to work pretty good for nvrec. Or is there some reason why it
 >> can't be done, like it is dependent on OSS drivers?
 >

 > Distorting audio is MUCH GREATER a sin than adding or dropping video
 >  frames!

Ok, I can see that in theory at least. But have you tried this and
noticed any audible degradation in practice? It sounds good to me, but
that might be because I'm not an audiophile.

I'm just wondering, if this is a problem in the first place because the
recording sound card doesn't have the correct samplerate, won't it be
distorted anyways when you play it on another soundcard with a slightly
different samplerate?

		/ Krister