[MPlayer-users] Can't get AC3 sound with alsa and cmipci

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Mon Oct 21 19:22:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 17:42, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> So, I  have a freshly  compiled (just in case)  MPlayer 0.90pre8-2.95.4,
> and while I can get sound for my video files on disk, I can't get AC3 to
> work for a DVD with alsa9 and  cmipci (I have the zoltrix card with both
> analog and SPDIFF out)

so you want spdiff out?

then don't use liba52, it does the decoding of the ac3 stream... and as
i know you want the ac3 stream to passed to some external device... so
you don't want to decode it..

you will have to use -afm (don't use -ac, -afm is recommended) hwac3...

read DOCS/tech/hwac3.txt

bye,
gabor

> I've already gotten digital SPDIFF to  work with normal sound files, but
> mplayer will not initialize sound for DVDs:
> merlin at poltron:~$ sudo mplayer -ni -ao alsa9 -dvd 1
> MPlayer 0.90pre8-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)
>
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon K75 Pluto,Orion (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
> 3DNow supported but disabled
> 3DNowExt supported but disabled
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE
> (...)
> Detected audio codec: [a52] afm:liba52 (AC3-liba52)
> Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
>
> DEMUXER: Too many (4096 in 8268994 bytes) video packets in the buffer!
> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
> For .AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
> A52 sync failed
> ADecoder init failed :(
> Couldn't initialize audio codec! -> no sound
>
> merlin at poltron:~$ sudo mplayer -ni -ao alsa9 -ac a52 -dvd 1
> Yields:
> Forcing audio codec: [ac3] afm:libac3 (AC3)
> Requested audio codec family [ac3] (afm=libac3) not available (enable it at compilation!)
> Couldn't initialize audio codec! -> no sound
>
> For the life  of me, I can't find  how I was supposed to  enable this at
> compilation time...
>
> Of course, the one I really want is hwac3:
> merlin at poltron:~$ sudo mplayer -ni -ao alsa9 -ac hwac3 -dvd 1
> Forcing audio codec: [hwac3] afm:hwac3 (AC3 through SPDIF)
> Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3 pass-through SP/DIF
> No accelerated IMDCT transform found
>
> DEMUXER: Too many (4096 in 8268994 bytes) video packets in the buffer!
> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
> For .AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
> A52 sync failed
> ADecoder init failed :(
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc
> --
> "A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in" - A.S.R.
> Microsoft is to operating systems & security ....
>                                       .... what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking
> Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f at merlins.org for PGP key

listening to Paul van Dyk - Ministry Of Sound Session Live