[MPlayer-users] Playing movies fullscreen with fbdev

Henric Andersson ha at thedudes.nu
Sun Oct 20 01:03:02 CEST 2002

I've been trying for a few weeks now to make MPlayer play any movie with the
correct size in fullscreen. Using VESA as an output, the -fs and -zoom took
care of the problems, but when used in conjunction with -vsync and -double
the movies started to get out of sync, mostly due to the vsync option
(without it, the movie plays fine except, that it updates at the wrong
moment, giving tearing artifacts). This isn't a problem with fbdev.

The problem with fbdev is that even if I specify the width to exactly what
the resolution is (don't even think it cares for screenw/screenh when using
fbdev) mplayer will quit saying that the display isn't at the required
resolution (it scales the movie upto 640x576 on a 640x480 screen when
playing mpegs for example). Almost all movies where the height doesn't
exceed 480 when zoom:ed (and fullscreen) works just fine.

What option am I missing here? I've tried expand and it works great (makes
the movies go fullscreen) but a movie that is bigger than the screen will
not play. I also tried adding scale=640:480, which works fine on any 4:3
movie, but screws up the aspectratio on any non 4:3.

Bottomline:
Does anyone have a clue as to what parameters will work with every movie and
make them play fullscreen with the correct aspectratio for a specific
resolution? (and yes, I _must_ use fbdev as it is now... DirectFB is also a
viable option, but has so far not worked very well)

/Henric