[MPlayer-users] Re: how does mplayer circumvent region protected (RPC-2) DVD drives?

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Fri Oct 18 22:51:02 CEST 2002

Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> On my new laptop the DVD drive is RPC-2 (region protected). However it
> after swapping region 1 and 2 disks way beyond the 5-change limit, DVDs
> still work fine under Linux and mplayer. Under WinXP the drive's
> internal region change counter is still the same.
>
> How does mplayer circumvent this restriction? Does it read the DVD files
> in DVD-Rom mode instead of DVD player mode?

mplayer (or libdvdread, for that matter) does not circumvent this
restriction at all. Maybe your drive is RPC-1 and not RPC-2 ? Also, be
aware that Windoze has it's own region locking in addition to the drive.
Note that if your drive is indeed RPC-2 you can only play DVDs with the
same region your drive is set to and you have to use an external program
to change your drive's region. If you can play different regions without
running additional software, then your drive must be RPC-1.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits