[MPlayer-users] mencvcd video plays too fast

airstrip1 at ml1.net airstrip1 at ml1.net
Fri Oct 18 21:36:02 CEST 2002

On 15 Oct 2002 00:59:36 -0400, "GD Lewis" <gdltek1 at dfnow.com> said:
> On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 18:33, airstrip1 at ml1.net wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Thanks Juergen for the tip!... but it didn't work. After 24h of recoding
> > the same problem occur. MPlayer is reporting the recoded video as:
> > "VIDEO:  MPEG1  352x288  (aspect 8)  25,00 fps  1440,0 kbps (180,0
> > kbyte/s)"
> > and the source video as:
> > "VIDEO:  [DIV3]  576x432  24bpp  25,00 fps  1128,2 kbps (137,7 kbyte/s)"
> > The sound is ~2 sec behind at the begining of the movie and 20 or so near
> > the end
> > (the movie is about 1h).
> >
> > Would be grateful for more ideas!
>
> I experience this problem as well, but only with avi's that I've
> re-encoded with mencoder to a higher framerate.
>
> If the source file that you have is already at a standard framerate, you
> could try manually splitting the avi into two seperate files and
> encoding each one seperately.
>
> The problem occurs when the mencvcd script splits the resulting mpv and
> mp2 streams to fit on multiple disks.  Somehow it seems to throw the
> sync off when they are mplexed back together to a mpg. But if the file
> is already split beforehand and the script doesn't have to span disks,
> then it usually works ok. I have no idea why this is and no idea on how
> to fix it.
>
> This is from a message from gabor who explains how to split an avi:
>
> ========================BEGIN_PASTE==============================
> look for -ss and -endpos
>
> basically -ss sets up the beginning and -endpos sets up the end.
>
> so, to cut an avi into 2 parts:
>
> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -endpos 50 myfile.avi -out file1.avi
> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss 50 myfile.avi -out file2.avi
>
> this will cut it at 50seconds
>
> =========================END_PASTE===============================
>
> The trick is finding the right position to split it at so the resulting
> bin/cue will fit on one disk, and it best to overlap the parts by a
> small margin.  Then run mencvcd on each part as usual.
>
> I know it's a bit of a hassle, but it's worth it when you are watching a
> perfect VCD! :-)
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Grant D. Lewis
> Running Gentoo Linux kernel 2.4.19-r7 on a GenuineIntel i686
>
> "Those who define new paradigms for the world are often considered
> strange at first"

Hello again!

And thanks again, but that didn't work either :-(
However I found out what the problem is (I think) but no solution though.
I found out the problem when swiching on the onscreen display, OSD
(-osdlevel 2). At the beginning of original movie the OSD is frozen for 4
sec and then jump straigt to 4. The "extracted" wave file have a initial
four seconds of silence. However the "extracted" video start playing
immediately and the OSD shows every secund in one secund intervals. This
"halts" in the original movie is NOT due to a slow computer or HD read
since it happens exactly at the same place when playing the movie
multiple times or fast forward/backward and is very irregular. The
"halts" happens mostly when the movie (intentionally) goes black for a
short while. It also seems like it "halts" when there is a still picture.

Is this a bug?
--
http://fastmail.fm - Access your email with Outlook or over the web