[MPlayer-users] XboxMediaPlayer false information spread on mplayerhq.hu

Gamester17 at the Xbox Media Player website gamester17 at nameplanet.com
Wed Oct 16 12:06:10 CEST 2002

If this is not sent to correct e-mail please forward to gabucino at
mplayerhq.hu
(I found it very hard trying to find his e-mail address on your website,
no contact list available)

Hello gabucino,

The Win32 (by d7o3g4q) version of the XboxMediaPlayer was released about
4 months ago and does NOT contain XVID, FFMPEG or any other GPL code at
all, it uses a codec d7o3g4q build himself from scratch ( reverse
engineering the divx 3.11 bitstream). And as it does not contain any GPL
code the source does not have to be released (and probebely never will
as I doubt d7o3g4q still has the source for this old release).

The Xbox version of Xbox Media Player does however contain both XVID or
FFMPEG code but it is not available for download on the website and is
not distributed by the Xbox Media Player team (e-mails have been sent to
XVID & FFMPEG authors informing about this), the GPL vas never violated.
In any case source code for the Xbox version has now been released.

You have not contact me (my mail address been on the web site all along)
or any of the authors. Not via e-mail or via the forums, you just posted
your false allogations without doing any investigate at all.

I hope we can expect a retraction & an appologi posted on your site in
the near future.
Think of the people that read your site & believe it to be the gospel
truth so they do not either do any investigating.

Best regards / Gamester17
webmaster at xboxmediaplayer.com

Quote from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/news.html
"The XBMP developers issued an article telling they didn't make official
releases, therefore they are not obliged to release source code. So I
guess they can say: "Oh, you have an XBMP binary? It must have been
leaked, we are soo sorry."
That's a lie. Seeing
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/newweb/download_files.htm, there is a
Win32 binary (amongst many else), obviously with GPL license. Please
send the source to gabucino at mplayerhq.hu, which you are obliged to
do."

Be Unique! Get your personalized email address at www.NamePlanet.com
<http://www.NamePlanet.com>