[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD Playback problems (lots of info provided...)

Sylvain Petreolle spetreolle at yahoo.fr
Wed Oct 16 09:02:02 CEST 2002

> OK, so Shaun emailed me this directly, and I kinda said "yeah I did
> that"... but it occured to me that perhaps the -I ouput wasn't the
> same... and what do you know... it's not. So now I have set up both
> my
> HD and my DVD to 'using_dma=1' and since Debian doesn't have
> /etc/sysconfig, I made an init script to do it for me on boot each
> time.
>
> So that leaves me with a few questions:
>
> 1. I'm now using:
> gmplayer -ao oss -vo xv -cache 8192
> and playback is much better... but audio is still fractionally behind
>
> video. It's rather annoying. I've tried -ao alsa9 and get the same
> result. So I guess that's:
>    1a. Anyone know which is better: alsa9 or oss?
>    1b. Anyone know how to fix my video sync probs.
>
> 2. If I choose a specific 'chapter' (instead of just saying "DVD ->
> open
> disk") then mplayer shows a bunch of garbled video and then crashes
> and
> says "mplayer crashed, this shouldn't happen" I will submit a core
> either now if someone really wants, or if not then after I get
> video/audio sync problems cleared up.
see DOCS/bugreports.html

> 3. How come I can't get MENUs like on a tv-based DVD player or a win
> or
> mac DVD player? Am I missing something obvious? I don't see this
> option
> and playing the DVD from mplayer skips the menus and foes straight to
>
> the first scene.
for now, the libdvdnav code who handles is beta and not maintained by
the mplayer team. mplayer won't compile with the latest version of
libdvdnav. if you want to update the code and submit patches, feel free
to you. I'm subscribed to the libdvdnav mailing list and only a little
API change is needed to be included in source.

note : for now, the only DVD linux player I know that has real menus
support is xine, compiled wiht libdvdread, libdvdcss and the plugin xine-dvdnav.