[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD Playback problems (new findings)

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Tue Oct 15 22:08:08 CEST 2002

I figured out some more problems after playing some more (another app
after exiting and didn't fully give up audio I think... not totally
sure)... I can get sound to work with -ao oss -ao alsa9 and -ao sdl...
but I'm still getting major problems. THe best combination I could come
up with was:

gmplayer -ao oss -vo xv -cache 8192

Which was still somewhat jerky with a a-v sync just fractionally off.
If I use SDL for audio playback comes REALLY slow (like a few frames a
second or something). ALSA9 gives "Your machine is too slow!" errors and
I get same problems as before.

So I've setteld that '-ao oss -vo xv' is the best... but it's still not
"good"... where do I go from here. How do I improve on playback now?
Perhaps if I provide new output logs from mplayer now that things are
working properly? Would that help in diagnosing?

As I said in my last post I should easily have the hardware necessary
for DVD playback:

877Mhz Pentium III, 384MB RAM, GeForce3 with 64MB RAM, the DVD on it's
own IDE chain and in UDMA2 mode, the HD on it's own chain and in UDMA4
mode...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica
http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/     http://www.ipom.com/

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759