[MPlayer-users] XVideo output fails unless Xine is also running

Ben Liblit liblit at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 15 08:26:02 CEST 2002

Arpi wrote:
> no, xine does use always teh first port.
> as some newer nvidia driver had problems wiht teh first port, teh SDL
> authors changed their code to use the last available port (instead of the
> first one) and we followed them.

Sorry, I don't follow you here.  When Xine is running, MPlayer reports
that it could not grab port 119.  It then falls back to port 120, which
seems to work.  That suggests that both Xine and MPlayer initially
attempt to grab the same port (119), and that for some reason Xine can
use port 119 properly while MPlayer cannot.

But what you said above, if I understand it correctly, is that Xine
always uses the first port while MPlayer uses the *last* available port.
  That is inconsistent with my observation that they both start out
trying to grab the *same* port (119).

Can you please clarify?