[MPlayer-users] mplayer can't open/init audio device

Fred Perloff fperloff at mind.net
Sun Oct 13 02:59:02 CEST 2002

I am running mplayer CVS-021001-19:58-3.2, RedHat 7.3 with a 2.4.18-10
kernel, with KDE desktop. KDE plays through through artsd, which is
running as an active process. I can play mp3's just fine, so I know the
sound hardware is working well.

However, when I start mplayer with the command:
mplayer /mnt/cdrom/video_ts/vts_01_3.vob  -ao arts -vo xv

I receive the error:
couldn't open/init audio device -> no sound
Audio: no sound!!!

I receive the same kind of error when I start mplayer with -ao sdl, -ao
sdl:arts, or with -ao oss.

Also, I killed the artsd process, and I received the same error - that
mplayer cannot open the the audio device

So how do I get mplayer to connect to the audio device?

TIA,
Fred