[MPlayer-users] Mjpeg to DivX possible?

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Thu Oct 10 22:03:02 CEST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 10. Oktober 2002 10.51 schrieb Martin Olsson:
> I have just bought an Axis network camera which is able to generate a
> MJPEG-stream. Is it possible to take this stream and encode it to an
> AVI (DivX) or MPEG movie using mencoder?

Yes, of course. You can create DivX-Movies with mencoder (that's what
it was made for, in the first place).

MPEG is somewhat trickier. While you can use mencoder for this task, I
don't really recommend it. The codec there was built for realtime
encoding on slow machines i.e. optimized on speed, not quality. ;-) For
this task, the mjpegtools are more like what you're looking for:

http://mjpeg.sf.net/

Ogg Movies are another possibility. Look for "ogmtools" in the
mailinglist archive.

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    I'm breaking for DAUs, too!       x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \