[MPlayer-users] Problems with VCD creates by mencvcd on DVD (hardware) player

GD Lewis gdltek1 at dfnow.com
Wed Oct 9 21:08:37 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 07:25, Rainer Krienke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I lately tried to use the mencvcd script to rip a VOB-File from a DVD to a VCD
> or SVCD. I am running mplyer 0.90.pre8.
>
> I used  the command
>
> 		mencvcd myvideo  -dvd 3
>
> Basically everything went just fine. The Data was even burned on  my cd writer
> (wonderful script by the way). I also can play this freshly burned CD with
> mplayer -vcd 1. This also works fine.
>
> However what's not working is to play this VCD oder SVCD on my hardware
> DVD-player. The manufacturer (Himage) says its compatible with both. It loads
> the CD and says it recocnized a VCD oder SVCD but then it does not play
> correctly. Its more like a slide show of single picture with annoying colored
> rectanfgles spred across the screen. Even the sound is kind of quirky, but
> for small moments its ok. Playing the riipped SVCD its still worse: I can
> only hear the sound (which is not really OK) but there is no picture.
> Unfortunately I do not have another VCD to test my hardware DVD player.
>
> Did anyone have similar  experiences or does anyone know what might go wrong,
> what additional parameters for mencvcd might solve the problem?

I must have lucked out with my DVD player, it will play justabout
anything that I throw at it.

However, as I have posted in this list, I have yet to find another
person who can successfully play the VCD's that I create, even though
their players state that they can handle VCD's & SVCD's.

You may want to check that thread and see if some of the tips offered
can assist you.

--
Grant D. Lewis
Running Gentoo Linux kernel 2.4.19-r7 on a GenuineIntel i686

"Those who define new paradigms for the world are often considered
strange at first"